My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Sunday, April 15, 2012

BD Museum

Since Tintin and The Secret of the Unicorn came out in US movie theaters this summer, more Americans are probably aware of Belgian comic books than ever.   I have never been a fan of the genre so I didn't know how big comics are both in France and in Belgium.  I really should learn more because I think that I have students who would enjoy studying some of them, especially Astérix and Tintin.

Jed and I went to the comic book museum in Brussels mainly because our partly-cloudy skies turned into a downpour a few hours into our visit.  The history of comics was interesting, but I have to admit that reading page after page of tiny print under glass frames got old pretty quickly.  Jed liked the whole scene more than I did so we had a good afternoon.

Lucky Luke (here with Jed), The Smurfs, and Tintin were the only Belgian comics that I had heard of before this visit.






       

No comments:

Post a Comment