My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Françoise


Look what I found on Google Images!

In the summer of 1995, I began studying for my Masters in French at Middlebury College in Vermont.  In order to improve my pronunciation and because I was already active in local theatre at home, I signed up for the theatre class taught by professional actress, Françoise Mojeret.  We performed short scenes for oral grades, but the bulk of our work was preparation for Jean Anouilh's play, Antigone, which we performed at the end of the summer.  The following three summers, I found a way to participate in the plays even though I was not enrolled in Françoise's class.  I just really enjoyed spending time with her and learning more about French theatre. 
When I graduated in 1998, Françoise asked me to come back the following year as her bi-lingual assistant. I was thrilled!  I spent the following FOUR summers working for her and benefitting from the wonderful Language School immersion experience.  I still cannot believe that I was paid to do something that was so much fun.
I have seen Françoise just twice since 2002:  once when she and her touring partner performed Huis Clos at Wofford College, my alma mater, and once in Paris when Sam, Jed, and I were on vacation.
She is a darling person, and I was hoping to spend some time with her this year, but so far, it just has not worked out.  We talked on the phone tonight for the first time since I arrived, and she told me about some surgery that she is having that will require her to go to a restorative care facility for a few months.  It was wonderful to hear her voice and to make plans for a quick visit before I return to the U.S.  She will return to Paris in June so I plan to spend my last day in France with her in July.  

No comments:

Post a Comment