My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring fever at school

This blog is a record of the year, and I write it mainly for me so that I will not forget a moment of this incredible experience.  It includes our favorite moments as well as my struggles at school because I need to remember those as well.

Without going into all of the gory details, I want to report that spring has sprung in southeastern France and that the students are getting restless.  Even with all of the vacations that they have sprinkled throughout the year, they are longing for the freedom of summer.

This restlessness has led to a few more discipline problems than usual in my classroom, and I have had to crack down on the worst offenders.

Here's this week's tally:

Four boys removed from one class all week with extra detentions after school and meetings with their parents.  There is also the possibility that they will lose their school trip at the end of the year.  (Jed says that they are SO going to kill me if that happens!)

One boy written up for hitting another boy and then for using "tu" with me and threatening me.  (If you have studied French, you know that to "tutoyer" a teacher is very disrespectful.)

One boy sent out of class for refusing to change seats when I asked him to because he was talking.

That's it!  Just six boys this week.  It's always the boys.  As we say in the south, bless their hearts!  They just cannot control themselves at this age!     

No comments:

Post a Comment