My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Oh Happy Day!

As Jed said, Sunday was all about me.  We didn't do anything fun for him at all.  Sorry, kid; some days are like that!  The day was not complete torture, though.  We went out to a Chinese buffet restaurant with my English-department colleague, Françoise and her daughter, Aurore and the Italian teacher from my school, Raphaella.  The Chinese food was delicious, and there were even French fries for the picky eater among us.
Afterwards, Jed and I went to a free gospel music concert at the Espace Mistral in Montélimar.  Three choirs (from Nîmes, Nyons and Montélimar) performed mostly American music for a packed auditorium.  The quality was excellent, but I had a hard time understanding the lyrics at times.  H's, th's, ch's, and w's are really difficult for the French to pronounce, it seems.  I recognized most of the songs, though, so it wasn't really a problem.  They sang, "Oh Happy Day," "Lean On Me," "What A Wonderful World," "I Believe," "Down By The Riverside," and lots of other great old songs.
I wanted to stay afterwards and see where to sign up to sing with them, but Jed had had enough after a hours of sitting so we walked home to let him run around a bit.  I can look the choirs up on the internet anyway.  
I've been having a little bout of homesickness lately so listening to the music of my Baptist childhood was just what I needed---that and the chili and cornbread I made for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment