My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Fencing Tournament

Today Jed and I drove to Annonay about an hour and a half north of Montélimar for his first-ever fencing tournament.  I had looked up directions on the website viamichelin, and they turned out to be pretty clear until we got to the end.  I took a one-way street into the centre ville and then just prayed I'd find my way out.  Somehow I did, and I immediately pulled over and called Jed's coach who helped me get back on track.
Getting lost in France is turning into a theme for the year, I'm afraid.  That's why I do not go on hikes by myself.  I have called myself a geographic dyslexic ever since reading that term in the novel "The Accidental Tourist" years ago, and it really does apply.
Anyway, we made it to the tournament and back, and in between, Jed was in five fencing matches.  He lost each one, but two were close---5-4, I think.  If he was bothered by defeat, he did not show it.  He was cool all day, not at all nervous or upset.

Montélimar fencers

Jed and his wonderful coach, Clément

First match

Getting killed in the second match

Third match

My handsome, shaggy boy

No haircut is in our future, apparently.  I'm leaving this decision to the 8-year-old.  

No comments:

Post a Comment