My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why on Earth are we doing this?

    About fifteen years ago when I was in graduate school, I met a woman who had just returned from a year in France where she participated in a Fulbright Teacher Exchange.  I have dreamed of doing the same thing ever since I heard her stories.
    Why now, though?  This seems like a good time in my life for an adventure.  I have been teaching French at the same school for twenty-three years, and I expect and hope to teach there for another twenty years.  I need something to recharge my battery, though.  My French feels rusty, and all of my cultural references are ancient.  (Any Yves Montand fans out there?)  In addition, my son is old enough to be a good travel companion and young enough to benefit from the total immersion experience.  I cannot wait to see how quickly he picks up a new language!  I know that we will face some challenges as we adjust to a new life, but I think that it is going to be a wonderful year.  Obviously, I'll keep you posted.  

1 comment: