My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A day in Montélimar

My mentor, Caroline, met me at city hall to help me register Jed for school this morning.  We paid our whopping annual fee of 11 euros for the after school program and signed up for lunch at the cantine for the year.  Hélas, Jed will not be able to bring a peanut butter sandwich to school every single day!  It is not allowed.  He must eat what everyone else eats.  We'll see how THAT goes!  After registering for school, we stopped by the Wednesday morning market and bought pears, kiwis, tomatoes,
and honey dew melons.  
We then went to Jed's school to show the principal all of the required documents:  immunization record, birth certificate, and a letter saying that he is no longer enrolled in school in the US.   That last part seems sort of obvious to me, but what do I know?
A trip to the bank to open a checking account for me rounded out a pretty dull day for Jed.  The high point for him was being told that he could have his very own bank card on an interest-bearing account.  The first 15 euros are a gift from the bank too!  He is thrilled, but I think that that is only because he thinks that the bank just "gives" me money any time that I want it.  This should be a good lesson for him.  
I convinced him to take a train tour of Montélimar after our bank transactions, and we both fell asleep.  So much for learning something new about where we live!  
We came home just as ignorant as before, but Jed was happy because his friends were waiting to wrestle and swing from vines and chase each other.  Here is a photo of the very international crowd.  From left to right their families speak Spanish, Italian, Arabic, English, and Moré (Burkina Fasso) at home.  All four friends are fluent in French, though, so Jed needs to get to work in order to say something other than curse words to them.   

1 comment:

  1. Love ALL of the smiling faces! How many bank accounts is Jed allowed to open? This could be a good gig...at least earn enough to buy after school snacks since he will be starving after not eating lunch!!!

    ReplyDelete