My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Monday, August 22, 2011

Permission to leave

Our long-stay visa finally arrived on our doorstep around 10:00 this morning.  Since we began the application process back in May, you can understand why we thought that this day might never come.  A small mistake on one of the dozens of forms that I filled out held up the entire process, and I thought that I would at least have to arrive at my new job one to two weeks late.  Thank God THAT did not happen!  I would have been a nervous wreck!
I am now throwing myself into the job of packing.  Jed's suitcase was a breeze because he has outgrown most of his clothes so I just put in the ones that were left, and we'll buy a few new things in France after we  learn about his new school's dress code and no doubt discover that his entire wardrobe is embarrassing and uncool.
I have also outgrown a lot of my clothes, but unfortunately, there are many more to replace those so packing my gigantic, oh-so-American suitcase is more of a challenge.  How does one pack for an entire year?

No comments:

Post a Comment