My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The very last day of classes

Tuesday was the last day of "classes" at the Collège Olivier de Serres.  Most of my cinquièmes were there, but I only had two girls in troisième and a handful of quatrièmes.  We played games and talked and listened to music and just generally enjoyed each other's company.  My little cinquièmes were adorable.  Much to my surprise, they were sad to say goodbye to me.  The girls all gave me kisses and the boys hung around awkwardly.  They asked if they could come in at lunch and sing karaoke with me so that's what we did.  We had a screaming, laughing sing-a-long to their favorite English songs.  Then they found me again after school to give me a heart signed by Scott and all of the girls in my cinquième trois class.  I was really touched.  I'm actually going to miss some of them.  In a big public school like this it takes courage to be different or smart or interested or nice to the teacher.  I will always remember those kids who dared do any of those things.    

No comments:

Post a Comment