My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Vaison-la-Romaine

After an extremely lazy morning, I spent the afternoon in Vaison-la-Romaine with Carrie, Mary, and Nate.  In this village located not very far from Montélimar, there are Roman ruins as well as a medieval fortress.  We only had a few hours to spend so we concentrated on the Roman sites.  I guess I'll just have to come back when I've got more time.



On the way there, we pulled over at a rest stop, and this is the view that we had.


Mary at the entrance to the site


My favorite sculpture in the museum


Nate listening to the audio guide


We overheard some American teenagers say, "This stuff is all broken!"  


I like historic sites where kids can touch everything and climb and have fun like this.  These structures have been around for thousands of years so I don't think that we can break them.  


The ruins of the Roman village are on two sides of a modern road.  They are the most extensive ones I've seen outside of Morocco.


The Roman theatre was getting ready for the Fête de la Musique while we were there.   


Me and Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment