My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Jed goes home (Part 1)

This day came way too quickly!  Despite a rough beginning and some hard times in between, Jed is leaving France with good memories, I think.  He made wonderful friends and learned French---two things that I hope that he will keep with him for life.


Outside Building D with two pretty heavy suitcases, a computer bag, and a backpack.  Could these light travelers be American?


The obligatory train station shot.


Jed signs Néo's school book and feels like a celebrity.
Dom brought the boys to say goodbye to us at 8:00 a.m.


After checking into the hotel, we met my AP grading buddy, Richard, at the restaurant, Chartier, for lunch.  The setting is beautiful, and the prices are cheap.  What's not to love?


 Richard was in France working for a few weeks and missing his wife and four kids at home.  I think that having lunch with a goofy eight-year-old was just what he needed!


After lunch, Jed, Sam, and I made our way to Montmartre to buy more tacky souvenirs, watch street performers and have Jed's portrait sketched.  The weather threatened to ruin those plans, but it never did rain more than a few drops.  The soccer ball guy was Jed's favorite act.  We watched him from the steps of Sacré Coeur for a long time.  


The mime was a little creepy, but we gave him a few minutes of our time and a few coins as well.  


I'm not sure what to call these guys who just stand in the street and say and do nothing at all.  They pose for photos, but like the mime, they are a bit creepy to me.  I guess that I am wary of people who choose not to talk.  


This lady made up for the reticence of the other two performers.  Here she belts out a song by Edith Piaf, one of my favorites.  


Françoise sketches Jed.  She wasn't sure at first if he was a girl or a boy, but either way, she thought that he was beautiful.


Jed will be one of her last customer's for the season.  She does not work once it starts to get hot---a woman after my own heart!
  





No comments:

Post a Comment