My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Having fun all by myself

Yes, it can be done!  I can actually entertain myself!  It's been a long time since I had a day without obligations so I wasn't so sure, but here's what I got into today.

First, after saying goodbye to the adorable Propst family, I walked up to the Château des Adhémar.  I can't believe that Jed and I lived here for almost a year and never found this little gem in the center of town.  To be fair, it's pretty well-hidden, so in all of our times strolling the streets, we never looked up and saw its towers.  From the center of town it's a steep climb to the site, but once there, the views are rewarding.


The castle dates back to the 12th century.


Along the ramparts, there is a nice view of the Ardèche mountains.


What draws locals to the château is its contemporary art museum.  Today was the last day of Emmanuelle Régent's exhibit.


After visiting the castle, I sat on a bench in its garden and read Sarah Vowel essays for a while and then came home for lunch and a little school work.  

At 4:00, I went to see the French film De Rouille et D'Os, starring Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts.  It was not at all what I expected.  I don't know what I expected, but this was powerful and tense.  It's going to take me the rest of the evening to relax.  




  

No comments:

Post a Comment