My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Jed's last day of school


Nine months ago, I took Jed's photo on the balcony of our apartment before taking him to his first day of school.  He has grown up in so many ways since then.  I can't begin to express how proud I am of him.    


Jed took vases of roses to his teacher, to the principal, and to an assistant who helped him with his homework during the week.  We ordered a big brownie and took coca and limonade for his classmates.  


I picked Jed up after his last sports practice, and Bénédicte was there to get her boys.  She has been saying all year that she just wanted ONE kiss from Jed.  Unfortunately, he refused until the bitter end.  He was willing to give her a hug and to let her kiss his cheek, but he did not reciprocate.  I could tell that the goodbyes were awkward for him, but he did his best.    


Lorenzo often walked with me to pick up Jed from French lessons or sport.  Then the two of them would race home leaving me far behind.  Today was no different.  Jed has loved this kid like no other.  I'm going to miss hearing them talk and giggle and play in the courtyard.   


Dom always thinks of ways to make my life easier.  Tonight, she invited us over for pizza and salad.


Knowing how FreeGun-obsessed my child is, she, Néo, and Eytan gave him a FreeGun t-shirt as a going away present.  Look at that smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment