My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Movie date

"Une mare abandonnée. Deux enfants tombent sous le charme de ce lieu sauvage. À travers leur regard, leur imagination, la mare devient un royaume secret, à la fois merveilleux et inquiétant. Ils sortiront tous les deux transformés de cette expérience initiatique. Les réalisateurs de Microcosmos sont passés maîtres dans l’art de capter l’infiniment petit et de créer, à partir de ce réel fascinant, un monde de poésie."
This was the only non-animated film playing at the same time as Sam and Jed's movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks, so I decided to give it a try.  I called my friend, Bénédicte, and invited her to come along with me even though I had an idea that this was not exactly going to be a chick flick.  Her twins are with their father this week so she would have agreed to watch turtles race if I had asked, I think.  And that's pretty much what we watched in this film!  It is an absolutely beautiful piece of cinema, but there's not a lot in it to keep a girl awake in a dark, warm theatre.  I recommend it for people who like to watch National Geographic.  The insect photography is breath-taking---and I'm not joking.  I know that it might seem like I'm making fun of the film, but it was lovely---the parts that I was awake for anyway!  Maybe I should have gone to see Mission Impossible!  If only I could stand the sight of Tom Cruise!
After the movies, Bénédicte came over to the apartment for wine, smoked salmon, cheese, and pears.  She hopes one day that Jed will give her a kiss on the cheek, but she is happy for now that he will get close enough to her to pose for a photo.

Sam doesn't mind kissing her on the cheek at all!

Bénédicte was the very first person to welcome me to the apartment complex.  She stuck her head out of her first-floor apartment window and called out to me when she heard me talking to Jed in the courtyard.  That's not very French, I must say.  People are nice, but they don't go out of their way like that.  Bénédicte is pretty special.  


No comments:

Post a Comment