My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Worried? Who? Me?



Just minutes from where we live in Montélimar, there is a nuclear power plant on the Rhône river.  We pass by it on the way to our friends' house in Crest.  This fresco mural on the side of one of the four cooling towers just takes my breath away.  I find it scary and manipulative.
  The power plant has chosen the image of a child playing with water to make the citizens of the area believe that nuclear power is perfectly safe.  I guess that it is supposed to make us forget that in 2008 this particular plant had serious safety issues with the equipment that transports explosive materials and that it was ordered to address those within three months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment