My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Monday, November 21, 2011

Clermont-Ferrand

Clermont-Ferrand


    Jed and I made the five-hour train trek to Clermont-Ferrand to visit friend and fellow Spartanburg (-ian? -er? -ois? -ite?), Kris McVey who works there for Michelin.  She and her family have been in France for over two years so Jed did not remember them from South Carolina, but it did not take him long to reconnect with Tag, who is seven and loves video games and Pokemon and marbles.  Tag's three-year-old twin sisters, Emmerson and Meade did not know us at all, but it also wasn't long before these cheerful little girls were taking me by the hand and showing me their babies and dress-up clothes.  We had such a nice time with this loving, active family!


The hike begins!

These two climbed on everything and picked up every stick and threw every rock that they saw!

All of the kids loved finding the yellow trail markers called "blazes."


    On Saturday, we hiked five miles around the Put de Come with our four children plus one of Tag's American friends, Catherine.  I could not believe what troopers they all were.  Kris' hiking candy kept them going, I think.  That night I had raclette for the first time.  How have I never discovered this wonderful comfort food before?!  Potatoes, melted cheese, and bread are a few of my favorite things!

I love this photo, for some reason!

Near the end of the hike.

A gorgeous November afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment