My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sunday, Monday, Happy Days

    Sunday, an English-department colleague, Anne, invited me and Jed for lunch at her home in a small nearby village called Bégude-de Mazenc.  Her house, which is in the middle of hilly farm land and horse pastures, was started in 1867, and the final section was completed in 1940.  It is a large stone home with a "hangar" in which there is a trampoline and a "babyfoot" table, a summer kitchen next to the swimming pool, an outdoor fireplace, and terra cotta roof tiles.  If you like relaxed country living, it's a dream home.
    Jed thought that he might be bored at Anne's, but her 12-year-old daughter showed him her tree house and the neighbor's horses, and let him play video games on her computer after he had already gotten tired of riding her bike and jumping on the trampoline.
    For lunch, we had a delicious salmon tartare, salad, bread, and cheese followed by the dessert, Ile Flotante. (a custard with caramel-covered meringue floating in the middle like islands)  Jed ate bread and drank water, of course.  He didn't even really like the dessert.
    Monday's treat was a knock on the door near 9:00 p.m.  It was our next-door neighbor, Djavar, with a plate of Armenian desserts.  Jed and I devoured those in under five minutes, I'm sure.  Now I need to think of something that I can make for them.  Jed suggested Grandmom's peanut butter bars.  I think that might be just perfect!

   

1 comment:

  1. The peanut butter bars were a hit! I have to stick to simple recipes with few ingredients so Jed's idea was perfect.

    ReplyDelete