My son and I are leaving our small town in southeastern United States to live for a year in a small town in southeastern France. It couldn't possibly be THAT different, right?

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Crest

Jed and I have not been here a full week yet, and we were already craving some English-speaking company today.  Fortunately, there is another Fulbright teacher living just forty minutes from us in a town called Crest.  Since my new school is almost exactly halfway between us, I took the opportunity to see if I could find my way to work on my own and then go visit Carrie and her kids.  Despite my worst, most embarrassing driving job to date, we arrived in one piece (albeit with jangling nerves) around one in the afternoon.
Carrie's children, Mary and Nate, seemed to be glad to see other Americans too, and they played really nicely with Jed for about six hours.  We might have overstayed our welcome, but it was hard to leave their lovely garden and swimming pool.  Their home away from home for the year is a two-story stone house that is about one hundred and fifty years old.  We loved it!


While we were there, a welcoming committee of teachers from Carrie's school showed up, one with vegetables from her garden, another with a big bowl of grapes from her yard, and another with a gorgeous raspberry tart.

  It was hard to leave all of this hospitality, but Jed and I nervously took to the road again before dark.  Tomorrow is my first day of faculty meetings so getting to bed at a reasonable hour seems like a good idea.  Bonne nuit!

2 comments: